When it is not possible for the parties to agree the financial issues in divorce it can take some time before these can be decided by the court. There will need to be full disclosure of incomes, pensions and the like and valuations carried out on the matrimonial assets.
Whilst all this is going on it is often the case that a spouse (usually the wife) is left with no money to pay the household bills and maintain herself and the children. When this happens she should apply for maintenance pending suit.

In all probability the court will then make an immediate order that the other spouse pay maintenance until all the financial claims have been determined and a final Order made. Such an order will act as an incentive to encourage a reluctant husband to cooperate in reaching a final settlement.