Jointly Owned Property

Property where a number of people have an interest held by one person in his or her sole name or in joint names.

Jointly Owned Property

Property in which more than one of person has an interest may be held by one person in his or her sole name or in joint names. There could be a number of reasons why a jointly owned property is held in just one name; these include an earlier acquisition of the property and a purchase of council property. If property is held jointly, it can be held as joint tenants or as tenants in common.

Property held in one name

Where property is held in one name it is vital if future disputes are to be avoided that the other person’s interest is clearly set out. This can be done by a trust deed, which will lie behind the legal title. It will explain the position and specify the interest in the property owned by the person holding the legal title. It will also deal with arrangements for how one of the parties might buy out the other should this need arise.

Because the trust deed will lie behind the legal title, notice of it must be given to any person considering purchase of the legal title. This will be done by registering a restriction against it title to the property with the Land Registry. Form C1or C2 is used for this purpose.

Joint tenants

Persons holding property as joint tenants are deemed to have equal and indivisible shares in the property. The result of this is that if one dies, that share of the deceased in the property will pass automatically to the survivor under what is known as the right of survivorship. It will not pass according to the will of the deceased or the law of intestacy. It is most usual for husband-and-wives who are buying property together to hold the property in this way.

Tenants in common

Tenants in common will have divisible shares in the property which may or may not be equal. On the death of one of the tenants in common, his or her share will not pass automatically to the survivor but will pass according to the terms of the deceased’s will or the law of intestacy. This way of holding property jointly is most usual when the shares held are not equal or where the relationship between the parties is a business arrangement and not as husband and wife.

Resulting trusts

This is what is known as an equitable doctrine to soften possible injustice where one person has contributed significantly to a property but the legal title is held by another. The contribution can be by way of money or by carrying out work to improve the value of the property. It can also apply where property is held jointly, but one party has made a larger financial contribution than the other which for the sake of fairness should result in a larger than 50% interest in the property.

Constructive trusts

To establish a constructive trust it will be necessary to show an agreement or common intention, express or implied that the property was to be held jointly.

The person claiming a beneficial interest must have done something to their detriment as a result of the agreement or common intention of as a result of the promise made by the legal title holder.

Proprietary estoppel

The doctrine of proprietary estoppel allows a person who claims that there has been a mistake as to their legal rights to property. They claim that as a result of this mistake they acted to their detriment and in reliance on the mistaken belief. They must also show that the legal title holder must have known the truth about the claimant’s legal right and mistaken belief and that they encouraged the claimant to act to their detriment. Where a council property is bought under the right-to-buy scheme, the person with the right to buy will be treated as having contributed towards the purchase price to the same amount as the discount given when buying the property.

Related Blog Posts

Abandoned Goods

Abandoned goods What are you to do if someone has left their property with you or on your premises and do not remove it although you have asked them to do so. This is a problem often facing landlords when a tenant moves out leaving some of their possessions behind...

read more

Housing Repair Claims

If you are a tenant whose landlord has failed or is refusing to carry out necessary repairs to your home having been informed of the problem your first step should be complaining to your local council. They have a statutory duty to investigate cases of disrepair and...

read more

Obtaining Possession of Rented Property

A landlord wishing to recover possession of his property must follow the correct legal procedure. If he attempts to evict a tenant otherwise, he may be guilty of a criminal offence and could be ordered to pay substantial damages. Most private sector tenancies will be...

read more

How to Avoid (or at Least Delay) Mortgage Repossession

If you are facing repossession, realistically assess whether you are able to keep your home. When you have missed some mortgage payments, or you think you will soon, it’s time to face what’s probably the tough question: can you afford to keep your house? Apart from...

read more

Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme

Landlords or their agents who take a deposit from a tenant must have that deposit protected under one of two schemes: A custodial scheme - this is where the deposit is held in an approved scheme during the deposit, and will continue to be held if any legal dispute...

read more

Rights of Ways and Easements

An easement is a right to use another person’s property for a stated purpose. A type of easement can be a right of way that someone has over another person’s property. There are 4 main types of easements that are recognised rights: Rights of way Easements of support...

read more

Property Law Covenants

Property covenants are promises that come with a property, are attached to it, and bind the present owner of the property . The most common types of covenants are restrictive covenants. A restrictive covenant is a promise attached to the land which binds the owner for...

read more

Freehold or Leasehold

Freehold and leasehold are two different types of property ownership in the UK. Anyone considering buying a property here will need to know the meanings of both terms, as there are considerably different obligations and privileges bestowed upon the owner in each....

read more

Public Landlords and Council Tenants

A public landlord will include local authorities, district councils and most housing associations. A council tenant will be a person who takes a tenancy from any of these. There are two main types of council tenancy: secure and introductory. Where a tenancy agreement...

read more

Private Landlords

A private landlord is any person (including a company) who rents out residential dwellings. A landlord who shares his living accommodation with a lodger is not classified as a private landlord. Repairs to rented residential property The question of who is responsible...

read more